“We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not
The tests can be hosted on a CI/CD tool like Jenkins. On successful completion the CR would be marked as verified. Similarly any breakage in the Jenkins job for tests would mark the CR as not verified (-ve vote). This is a very important and effective way to catch regressions way before any other person other than the developer is involved. This cuts down maintenance cost by a huge amount. For verified CRs, the reviewers now can review the changes and can provide their feedback. They can also verify for the unit tests coverage and review for improvements.
Docker and containerization
We went through some SDLC tools that help product teams to accelerate and improve on their development process. There are several other tools and technologies that are used for build, operate and deploy but the ones discussed here are the most important ones and are part of day-to-day developer activities.
SDLC @ Okera
- Most of the heavy lifting is already done at the Gerrit CR verification phase to certify the regression verification. This validates we are good with the changes upfront than waiting for days before a QA team has to go through manual/automated testing to point out for any issues.
- With small and incremental changes, it becomes easy to break big problems into smaller chunks and address them. This makes it easier to measure and adjust (agile) with mid-point checks in the scrum development cycle.
- These processes avoid to a greater extent multiple release meetings and provides a factual view of the current state of the release because the master branch of the code is most of time good in terms of quality and release readiness. The tickets marked as done by developers are really done because they have been validated by the automation.
- Developers do not involve in the release management meetings and the CD process is automated via Jenkins. This gives back plenty of time for developers to solve real world problem with enough time to innovate and learn.
- We don’t have time consuming, grand scale release nights involving multiple personal. The release is as smooth as any other TGIF 🙂